Steven Aukstakalnis (Awk-sta-call-niss) is an author, research scientist, instructor and tech evangelist in the area of Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR).
His new book, Practical Augmented Reality (Pearson, 2016), is a guide to the technologies, applications, and human factors for AR and VR. It has been reviewed as a "blockbuster of a technical masterpiece" as Steve discusses all aspects of these powerful new tools that are taking the tech world by storm.
Imagine walking through the interior of a new building design months before construction begins. Or taking a classroom of grade school students diving for an hour on the Great Barrier Reef. Or practicing a complex surgical procedure in your home office. These are just a few of the wide-ranging, real-world applications for a new class of man-machine interfaces known as virtual and augmented reality.
Using stereoscopic head-mounted displays, 3D sound, and tactile feedback devices, users are either transported into completely computer generated worlds, or they have graphics and text overlays "augmenting" the view of their actual surroundings.
Steve's deep subject-matter expertise, passion for the field and easy-going conversational style enables highly informative and engaging radio and television interviews. Your audience will be riveted by discussions about the range of serious, problem-solving applications for virtual and augmented reality and the fascinating mechanics of human sight, hearing and touch. Their takeaway is a keen insight into a rapidly emerging paradigm shift in how we interact with computers and other complex information system.
Interview Steve Aukstakalnis, Author, Scientist, Virtual / Augmented Reality Expert, to discuss...
- How AR and VR will revolutionize computing and overall tech experiences.
- Why the largest tech companies in the world are investing billions of dollars in the development of these technologies.
- Why "Enhance Virtual Reality" is one of the 14 National Academy of Engineering Grand Challenges for the 21st Century.
- 5 revolutionary but existing applications for AR and VR from such fields as entertainment, engineering, medicine, aerospace, and defense.
- 5 fascinating aspects of our senses of sight, hearing, and touch that are steering technical developments in this industry.
- Why some users of VR systems experience headaches, nausea and perceptual side effects (i.e. human factors).
- The moral and ethical implications of AR and VR (violent first-person games, virtual porn, criminality in VR, etc..).
- Any other aspect of this field the host or audience wishes to explore.
Steve Aukstakalnis Guest Expert Interview Credentials
- Steve is the former Director of the Virtual Environment and Interactive Systems Program for the National Science Foundation Engineering Research Center for Computational Field Simulation.
- Steve has served on the professional research staff at the University of Washington and the faculty of Mississippi State University.
- Steve has authored three books on the topic of virtual and augmented reality. His second book, Silicon Mirage, was published in 6 languages and adopted as a text in schools around the world.
- Steve's third book, Practical Augmented Reality: A Guide to the Technologies, Applications, and Human Factors for AR and VR, was published in September, 2016 by Pearson - Addison Wesley Professional.
- Steve is a lecturer and researcher for the U.S. Army, U.S. Navy, National Reconnaissance Office, University of Michigan, Pepperdine, Purdue, Dartmouth, National Taiwan University, the Smithsonian Institution, and a host of other universities, corporations and government agencies across North America and around the world.
- Steve is a member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) and the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM).
Guest Expert Availability
By telephone or Skype from the Eastern Time Zone
In person is TBD
Guest Expert Interview Booking Contact
Steven Aukstakalnis (Awk-sta-call-niss)
Guest Expert Web Site
Would you like to be listed as a Featured Talk Show Guest Expert?
Our web site and email promotions can showcase your expertise worldwide!